Get stuck into our nifty review of the best neoprene wellies around
Waterproof, warm, and wearable all year…a decent pair of neoprene wellies is a must for everyone who wants to head outdoors and explore, adventure, or work. The beauty of Neoprene is its incredibly protective and insulating qualities, withholding the warmth whilst keeping the cold air at bay and boasting waterproof properties. We’ve chosen our favourite Neoprene wellies in order for you to make the best choice for quality, affordability, practicality, and style…so you can head out and get stuck into your activities without worrying about being stuck in the mud and frostbitten toes.
1. The men’s Hunter Field Side Adjustable Neoprene Wellington Boots, £109.95, are a contemporary design perfect for the style-conscious guy – the ideal boot to slip on for heading to festivals and other events from season to season. Welly experts Hunter have fused pioneered craftsmanship with a neoprene lining for warmth, and introduced an adjustable side tab for the perfect calf fit every time. The robust tread means getting to grips with muddy fields is no problem and the slick outer is not packed with detail but handsome none-the-less. The footbed is not as cushioned as other boots in comparison, but still boasts enough comfort for a decent wear on a casual basis.
Our rating – warmth: 3/5, comfort: 3/5, value: 3/5
2. For a bestselling design that doesn’t hurt the purse strings, the Hunter Original Neoprene Lined Wellington Boots offer a clean cut finish on the outside and a fully insulating wear on the inside. The classic design is an iconic style, taking the Original Tall Boot as inspiration and its protective touches such as an orthopaedic inner footbed which gives incredible comfort . Simple in comparison to other options, a reliable design is always a great investment. The £99.95 price tag is a small amount to pay for a lot of welly that is superb for all day everyday wear, especially for festival seasons and stylish events with shorts or dresses alike.
Our rating – warmth: 3/5, comfort: 3/5, value: 4/5
3. The men’s Muck Boots Muckmaster Wellington Boots, £94.95, are a seriously heavyweight design that will conquer any terrain in extreme weather, keeping your feet warm at all times. The elite craftsmanship and neoprene lining offer protection down to -30° C, whilst the incredibly robust sole offers a heavy grip on any ground, feeling chunky to wear all day. Muckmaster Airmesh technology provides a comfortable flow of air to provide an easy flow of air to prevent feet from becoming overheated. Sturdy and powerful with a rugged, aggressive sole and contoured footbed for stability…you’d be hard pushed to find a more high-performance welly that is great for heavyduty wear such as outdoor work, but not for everyday outings and casual wear.
Our rating – warmth: 5/5, comfort: 3/5, value: 3/5
4. A minimalist design that still boasts a protective finish, the Hunter Argyll Full Knee Neoprene Wellington Boots are a great base boot for everyday and farming wear, an extremely durable wear that will last and last. Featuring a sleek, leather look outer they have the classic Hunter red trim and boast a fully insulating neoprene lining with excellent grip which is due to the specially designed calendered sole that helps to stop mud from sticking. Whilst they don’t possess a side zip or adjustable strap, they are a top bestseller thanks to their simple aesthetic and classic finish. The wide fit design is extremely comfortable and allows more room for thick socks for added protection. Our favourite for everyday practicality, with an incredibly decent price tag of £58.95 for an added bonus.
Our rating – warmth: 3/5, comfort: 3/5, value: 5/5
5. Don’t give bad weather a second though with the women’s Muck Boots Arctic Adventure Wellington Boots, £89.95, a superb design for ladies that brave the cold weather climates and tough terrains. A fleeced inner provides the cosiest of wears, reinforced with a 4mm thick neoprene for additional protection and warmth that will keep on functioning down to temperatures of -20°C…and whilst the calf doesn’t provide a lot of stretch, it does feel soft to touch and keeps cold air out. The easy slip on design is fuss-free and whilst they don’t boast a lot of detail in comparison to other neoprene wellies – they still offer a lot. The minimalist outer is great for teaming with your day to day outfits for a versatile wear, and the chunky sole is a great addition for a non-slip step.
Our rating – warmth: 5/5, comfort: 3/5, value: 4/5
6. Boasting a traditional look and the construction of French designers Le Chameau, the women’s Le Chemeau Chasseurnord Wellington Boots, £255.00, are our favourites for elegantly classic styling and the most reliable wear for ladies. The double layer of cushioning to the footbed provides a seriously comfortable anti-fatigue wear that lasts and lasts, whilst the covered side zip and adjustable tab gusset offer a preferential fit that feels like it was crafted for you personally. Showcasing classic country colours, these boots pay homage to a traditional style that will never go out of fashion, without compromising on a high performance finish. A full soft grain leather lining ensures a soft and comfortable wear that is durable and strong, enhanced by the natural rubber construction. Paying a little more for your wellies pays off when their craftsmanship is this good. A reliable design that will stand the test of time.
Our rating – warmth: 5/5, comfort: 5/5, value: 4/5
7. The men’s Le Chameau Chasseurnord Wellington Boots come from the masters of French design to offer a refined style of welly. In the same manner as the ladies version, the pioneered construction of a Le Chameau boot is second to none – with a wide 41cm calf for comfort and a dual cushioned underfoot that acts as a shock absorber for all day wear that won’t pinch or burn. The higher price of £255.00 may seem a lot to pay in comparison to other designs…but what you’re getting is a world class heritage of crafting the wellington boot. A protected zip fasten gusset has an adjustable strap for the perfect fit, whilst the heavy sole boasts an unrivalled grip and a durability that you’ll be hard pushed to find elsewhere. The traditional colourway may not be to everyone’s taste but it offers a classic aesthetic that’s perfect for country sports, retaining that highly sought-after country heritage aesthetic. A full grain soft leather lining is a luxurious touch, ensuring that you’re slipping your foot into undeniable comfort with every wear.
Our rating – warmth: 4/5, comfort: 5/5, value: 4/5
8. The Bogs Tacoma Insulated Rain Boots at £84.95 are our top pick for ladies that tend to spend a lot of time outdoors…be it walking the dog or exploring further afield in cold temperatures. With a slightly more contemporary finish they are great for women of all ages with a stylish look, boasting modern pull on handles for an easy wear, an insulated lining for extra warmth, and a slip-resistant sole for expert grip that also boasts a pretty floral design. A stacked heel offers a more comfortable wear for the shape of the foot whilst an innovative technology moves sweat away from the foot for a superb comfort factor. The prize-winning point with the Tacomas is their ability to fully protect in temperatures that plummet down to -15°C…so frostbitten toes won’t be a worry. Easy to wear with most ensembles in cold climates where frost, snow and ice are rife.
Our rating – warmth: 5/5, comfort: 4/5, value: 4/5
9. Inspired by a wealth of knowledge, the Aigle Parcours 2 Iso Wellington Boots are at the top of our list due to their incredibly expert craftsmanship, elite protectiveness and handsome good looks. Perfect for outdoor work, the exceptionally robust sole has a double layered tread that leads up to a reinforced adjustable side tab for a perfect leg fit, a curved top for waterproof properties, and a thick neoprene lining for extra warmth and insulation. The classic look of these wellies and their distinct handmade feel makes them very popular, as does their reputation for a complete non-slip grip with every wear – complemented by the ankle grip for additional stability. Crafted as a hunting boots and designed with a hiking concept sole, the Parcours won’t let you down no matter what the terrain…enhanced by a rubber exterior that is resistant to abrasions and heat. The slightly higher price tag reflects everything these wellington boots have to offer, and more. If you don’t mind a slightly heavier wear with a chunky sole, these are the boots for you – £170.00.
Our rating – warmth: 5/5, comfort: 5/5, value: 4/5
10. The Hunter Balmoral Neoprene Zip Wellington Boots are our ultimate Neoprene winner – ticking every box for style, function, and durability. The heavy duty design packs a real punch for robustness; boasting a chunky sole for a non-slip grip that has been inspired by walking and climbing boot technology, a heel kick spur that helps to easily remove the boots, a thick insulating neoprene lining to keep the warmth in, and sturdy reinforced zip fasten to enable an easy wear that doesn’t compromise on the waterproof properties of the boot. The modern buckle fasten side strap helps to create the perfect fit every time, whilst the fit adjuster insoles create a shock-absorbing cushioning around the foot for a wonderfully comfortable wear that will last all day, every day. Whatever the weather or event, you’re protected in undeniable style from the welly experts. A distinct design from the Hunter Balmoral Collection, these Neoprene Balmorals boast a sleek outer for a stylish finish for an all round champion. £154.95.
I love these boots! They’re really comfortable and I feel like I could walk around all day in them no matter what I was doing…and talk about warm! My feet feel really cushioned and protected. They look stylish also, I wouldn’t mind throwing them on with jeans or dresses, definitely my favourite. – Hollie, one of our HQ testers.
Our rating – warmth: 5/5, comfort: 5/5, value: 5/5
For all of our neoprene designs and the bountiful collection of wellington boots, see our full range for both men and women.
Prices correct at time of review 03/09/2015.